To advance knowledge, policy, and practice of urban disaster risk reduction, particularly focusing on megacities and fast-growing metropolises.
EMI is an international scientific organization started in 1998 and established as a not-for-profit NGO in the Philippines in 2003. Over the years, our team of engineers, GIS specialists, and planners implemented projects and contributed to policies in key areas of disaster risk management practice.
Our 15 years of experience engagement in various disaster risk management and urban resilience practice accords us a distinct recognition from the international community. We employ a structured participatory process which reinforces ownership and a risk-based policy and programming aligned with international standards.
Over the years, we have gained a high level of competence in the following key areas of disaster risk management practice.
- Hazards, Vulnerability, Capacity and Risk Assessment
- Legal and Institutional Arrangements for DRM
- Integrated Emergency Management Systems
- Risk Sensitive Land Use and Urban Development Planning
- Monitoring and Evaluation of DRM in Urban Governance and Development
- Sectoral Urban Resilience
- Risk Investment Programming
- Information, Education and Communication Campaigns
- Training and Capacity Building for Urban Resilience
- ICT-GIS for Risk Management
EMI is a champion of the UNISDR Making Cities Resilient Campaign and an active member of the UN Global Platform for Disaster Reduction since its inception in 1995.