Position Title : Technical Manager 2 – Knowledge Development and Dissemination – Disaster Risk Management and Urban Resilience (DRMU Focus)
Terms : Full Time, Permanent, Exclusive Engagement ( with six months probation period )
Location : Quezon City ( Metro Manila )
Classification : Position 4 Level 2
Reporting : Technical Director
This position is defined for a Technical Manager (TM2) with particular functional responsibility over EMI’s Knowledge Development and Dissemination (KDD) Dept. KDD has three broad functional areas: 1) Knowledge Development; 2) Training; and (3) Program Development. The Manager will have authority and responsibility over all KDD functions. These functions are core to EMI mandate to bridge the gaps between research and practice. In conformity with EMI’s matrix (i.e., integrated) management approach, and to provide the opportunity for hands-on learning of EMI’s core urban DRM competencies, the job assignments also include intensive project management, project support, internal development and external relations building. Technical Managers are expected to be hands-on, content-oriented, front line problem solvers and achievers.
Work entails both technical and managerial responsibilities over EMI’s highly complex set of projects, as well as developing EMI’s contribution in knowledge development and dissemination. This is one of the top technical managerial positions in the organization and involves all aspects of research, planning, development, promotion, implementation, and evaluation of KDD activities with the goal to maintain and enhance the organization’s leadership position in urban and megacities disaster risk management. Specific duties and responsibilities are provided below.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- KDD Functional Duties and Responsibilities: Overall responsibility to lead and manage the strategic planning, performance, delivery of technical requirements and deliverables of the KDD Dept. The specific responsibilities include:
- Plan and manage the Knowledge Management, Training, and Program Development activities.
- Become fully versed on and knowledgeable of the global context of urban and megacities DRR and resilience, its driving issues and parameters, current trends, needs and gaps, opportunities, changing conditions, and strategic directions;
- Develop, track and implement a strategic plan for each of the core KDD functions with the goal of maintaining and enhancing EMI’s global leadership position in urban and megacities DRR, improve its visibility and contribution (i.e., “branding of EMI”), and enhance organizational sustainability;
- Provide technical competence and quality management over training strategy and its implementation, knowledge and promotional products, partnerships and promotional strategy. Identify opportunities for new training and knowledge management products and services.
- Lead the program development duties including the preparations of EOIs and proposals.
- Support EMI’s projects in a pro-active and supportive approach that fosters team work and collective contribution; clearly establish budget and time constraints, and work with project managers for effective planning and problem solving.
- Ensure the EMI website is current, relevant and the primary source of information and knowledge on urban and megacities DRR.
- Be abreast of new knowledge management and ICT technology (e.g., social media) to ensure EMI remains current in the use of technology.
- Be able to pertinently represent EMI in international forums and in global venues for urban DRR, development, and technical assistance;
- Lead in the organization of EMI’s forums, workshops, and other professional, educational, or promotional activities, including identifying the sources for funding and opportunities for partnerships.
- Be able to consolidate current partnerships and sources of funding, and develop new opportunities for sustainable external funding and revenue generation; lead the development of proposals for external funding.
- Demonstrate EMI’s contribution through pertinent and effective representation, documentation, reports, flyers, brochures and presentations.
- Build institutional knowledge and competency to enhance the technical and managerial capabilities of EMI’s staff.
- Provide a working environment to optimize contribution from staff, consultants and partners through effective communication and planning tools, problem solving skills, foresight and judgment.
- Lead in and contribute to building institutional knowledge and capacity in various aspects of local and global urban resilience management.
2. DRM Project Manager Duties and Responsibilities:
Serve as project manager or subject matter resource person to externally funded projects, with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Perform research and specific development tasks in support of these projects including: data collection, synthesis and analysis, as well as in the development of concept notes, reports, documentation and other program deliverables;
- Prepare and update work and financial plans; understand and ensure compliance with contractual requirements;
- Mobilize project resources through the engagement of consultants and project staff, procurement of supplies, equipment and other materials and resources needed by the project;
- Ensure the execution of activities as defined in the approved work and financial plans;
- Track progress and monitor the implementation of project activities and expenditures vis-à-vis the plan;
- Enhance relationships with funding organizations and with partners by an in-depth understanding of their needs, programs and decision-making process;
- Proactively update EMI management of the overall status of project implementation and performance;
- Coordinate activities and ensure performance of members of the project team, and ensure that team members are appraised of the constraints and status of the project and its progress against stated objectives and timelines;
- Prepare project briefs, progress and final reports, compile project documentation and turnover project documents to library/records office upon completion of project; and maintain communication with funding organizations, sponsors, and consultants.
- Present project outputs to clients and secure output acceptance.
3. Technical Managerial Responsibilities
The candidate shall act as the Knowledge Development and Dissemination (KDD) Manager, which includes the following duties and responsibilities:
- Support, mentor, and supervise work assignments of Departmental staff;
- Establish staff performance goals; manage and review staff utilization and performance with the goals of enhancing skills and improving efficiency;
- Develop, track, update and evaluate the departmental strategic plan, budgets and work plans;
- Contribute to the strategic goals, vision and mission of the organization; attend strategic planning meetings, managers’ meetings and performance evaluation meetings;
- Implement corporate policies and coordinate with Admin/Finance and other managers for HR, procurement and finance matters.
- If necessary, initiate and implement structural changes to improve efficiency and performance of Department within the context of strategic goals of the Organization.
4. The employee shall also perform other tasks and responsibilities as required by the Executive Director and Technical Manager.
- A Master’ s Degree in Communications, Development Studies, Disaster Management, International Development, Journalism, Law, Public Policy, or similar. PhD is an advantage.
- A minimum of twelve (12) years of continuous cumulative work experience in the public or private sector, preferably in a technical or scientific field, demonstrating continuous increase in competency and responsibility with minimal disturbance in work assignments;
- A minimum of five (5) years in management responsibility indicating mature professional judgment, capabilities for decision-making and problem solving.
- High level exposure to disaster risk management, climate change, urban development with good understanding of scientific context, issues, and methods;
- Demonstrated experience in management of complex multi-sectoral and multi-dimensional projects with explicit accountability and demonstrated objective results;
- Demonstrated strategic planning abilities with skills to work in a team, to act as a mentor and to be able to optimize team work;
- Show work that demonstrates focus and dedication and work discipline driven by personal accomplishments and quest for excellence.
- Ability to do independent research to bring innovative methods and technologies to improve productivity in the work environment.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Qualified applicants are invited to send their application via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating qualifications, current annual compensation and annual gross salary expectation (range). Please download EMI Employment Application form here . Candidates with higher level of qualifications are encouraged to apply and can be considered for a higher position. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
EMI offers a challenging work environment that questions convention and is driven by scientific learning, individual and collective contribution and respect for everyone. Competitive compensation package; generous benefits; flexible work environment; performance incentives and global involvement and opportunities for professional development in the field of urban resilience.
NOTE: Since this is an immediate requirement, applications will be processed as received and hiring will be closed when a suitable applicant is found.